Energy Saving Measures for your Home from
the Energy Saving Trust
(1) Loft insulation. The recommended depth is 27cm
or more. This costs a few hundred pounds to install and could save around £100 per annum on heating
(2) Draught excluders around your windows, as well
as certain foams can help keep heat in.
(3) Reducing the room thermostat by 1C can cut
your heating bills by up to 10%.
(4) Lagging pipes and fitting a British Standard
jacket around the hot water tank can cut heat loss by more than 75%.
(5) Wall insulation. About one third of a home's
heat can be lost through walls that are not insulated. This can help
(6) Double glazing instead of single
(7) Heavily lining your curtains can help stop
heat from escaping through the windows.
(8) When replacing your boiler choose a more
energy-efficient `A' rated one. After a decade's use, most boilers are running at something like 50%
efficiency, and ideally should be replaced every 15 years or so.